[lbo-talk] Asiazilla in the chips

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 16:03:10 PDT 2005

Dennis Redmond:

Andrew Orlowski has the latest on China's rapid advance in CPU tech:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/25/china_cpu/

Wow, wow and again....

Yes. Wow.

While I'm certain that, outside of a few very interested circles, this bit of news isn't even really considered news at all -- just something geeks and techno-utopians jump up and down about in their poorly fitting, off-the-rack Dockers pants -- it's potentially very significant.

A home developed and home manufactured Chinese CPU would not only demonstrate mastery of a key element of modern technics but also create a massive competitor (and perhaps, massive spoiler of the status quo) entering the chip market.

There are so many fascinating implications here...among them: Chinese computers, running Chinese software (including Red Flag Linux), distributed inexpensively across the globe.

I'm sure Microsoft and Intel are watching closely and nervously and in great frustration because they have next to zero leverage over this.

.d. -- http://monroelab.net/ <<<<<>>>>> groove to my groove