[lbo-talk] Shot dead in London

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 26 23:17:31 PDT 2005

From: "James Heartfield" <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk>:

The WEEK ending 24 July 2005

Crime prevention and arbitrary government

Following the execution of Brazilian electrician Jean Charles de Menezes in public on Friday, the Metropolitan Police has confirmed its policy of shoot-to-kill against suspected suicide bombers. Politicians have rushed to defend the police and the leading human rights pressure group Liberty has accepted the need for such a policy.....

This incident reminded me of those golden "daze" of yesteryear, when Marines of my old unit LSG-26 were sent to DaNang. On first being there, you got to do your tour of guard duty with cartridges in in your M-14 or shotgun, if you were guarding an ammodump. Then, after a few guys shot each other by mistake while on guard duty, you had to go out on the perimeter with an empty rifle.

People with guns get nervous, especially people who aren't battle hardened or people who's brains haven't quite matured--like most 18-24 year olds. Most get trigger happy, especially when they hear and see suspicious things. A guy I knew from Camp Lejeune, a warrant officer, motor transport commander was killed by a Marine on guard duty in the Dominican Republic in '65, as he looked under the hood of jeep which was having motor trouble. He wasn't an electrician. He was a mechanic.

You can have hundreds of thousands of "cops" roaming around all over the place in a declared war zone and still, a proletarian will have no security.

As various LOBsters have pointed out on this list, this "war on terror" is stimulating the creation of more "terrorsts" because the continued occupation by foreign troops of various national or proto-national entitities is seen by certain people as a predatory affront.

Farewell fellow worker Menzies,

Mike B)

****************************************************************** Patriotism is a state religion used by elites as a form of control, and embraced by the powerless as a substitute for politics. Dennis Perrin

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal