[lbo-talk] Bombs in London

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 27 03:12:11 PDT 2005

Further insight into the bombers' motivations:

Mukhtar Said Ibrahim, 27, was granted exceptional leave to remain in Britain in 1992, as a dependent of a someone granted asylum, having arrived here age 14, and went to a North London Comprehensive. At 16 he was jailed for five years for street robbery as part of an armed gang of youths. He became a naturalised British citizen last year, swearing: "I will give my loyalty to the United Kingdom and respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen."

To a neighbour

"He talked about evil spirits,'' she said. ''He said there were a lot of evil spirits around because everyone was evil around here.''

He also gave her a scree on the Koran with the passage highlighted: 'anyone who says "there is no God but Allah" and dies holding to that belief will enter paradise'.

His remaining family in Britain say he was not close, and condemned terrorism.