[lbo-talk] Teamsters quit AFL-CIO

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Wed Jul 27 06:26:56 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> All the objective Marxist taxonomy you want to throw at the problem
> doesn't amount to shit as long as people think they're not working
> class.

Moreover, Marx's taxonomy is based on a particular theory of the development of human subjectivity. In that theory, domination within relations of production is positively developmental of rational self- consciousness, of what A.N. Whitehead calls "noble discontent." This is discontent rooted in self-conscious awareness of the "good" and of the means required to make our actual lives better by making them approximate more to the good. If domination within capitalist relations isn't necessarily productive of noble discontent in this sense (if, say, it proves compatible with the kind of discontent expressed by Rapture Christianity), Marx's theory needs amending because it's inconsistent with the facts.

Ted