[lbo-talk] Americans Remain More Optimistic and Satisfied with Life than Europeans

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Jul 27 07:31:52 PDT 2005

To quote myself, from the afterword to the paperback of After the New Economy: "Americans always profess to be happy people, but with self-help books dominating display space in our chain bookstores, and American doctors writing almost 400,000 prescriptions for antidepressants every day, can we always believe what they say?"

Doug

^^^^^ Put On A Happy Face

Gray skies are gonna clear up, Put on a happy face; Brush off the clouds and cheer up, Put on a happy face. Take off the gloomy mask of tragedy, It's not your style; You'll look so good that you'll be glad Ya' decide to smile! Pick out a pleasant outlook, Stick out that noble chin; Wipe off that "full of doubt" look, Slap on a happy grin! And spread sunshine all over the place, Just put on a happy face! Put on a happy face Put on a happy face And if you're feeling cross and bitterish Don't sit and whine Think of banana split and licorice And you'll feel fine I knew a girl so glooming She'd never laugh or sing She wouldn't listen to me Now she's a mean old thing So spread sunshine all over the place Just put on a happy face So, put on a happy face

:>)