[lbo-talk] Shot dead in London

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 09:08:12 PDT 2005

On Wednesday, July 27, 2005 6:51 AM [PDT], Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The whole idea that shooting someone in the head will
>>> keep them from triggering a bomb is absolutely without
>>> foundation in \ physical or biological reality ...
>
> On 7/26/05, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
>> Yes, yes, we know Mr. Physical and Biological Reality.
>
> why not say something substantive if you disagree with him? snide
> remarks don't help at all.
>
> In the media (cop shows, etc.), there are all sorts of fictional
> bombers who tightly grasp at clamps to keep bombs from going off (in
> order to threaten people with them going off to get their money,
> etc.). Shooting one in the head would lead to a loosening grip, which
> sets off the bomb. I don't know if there are real-world equivalents or
> not (since I slept through Bombing 101 in college), but it's
> plausible.
> JD

It's a "deadman switch" held by the engineer on every train, and ironically subway, in the world. You could also trigger an electrical current because your heart stopped or your brain waves spike, stop, or you fall over. Or just tag team it with 2 people... one holding a car alarm keychain dongle. What the British police have effectively done by showing their hand is just tip the people using these tactics to make their techniques more... bulletproof.

Leigh www.leighm.net