[lbo-talk] work for an asshole, no attachments please

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 27 09:53:47 PDT 2005

[an update reports that "discrete" is a (sic)]

<http://www.gawker.com/news/media/youre-not-good-enough-to-fetch-eric-altermans-dry-cleaning-114525.php>

You're Not Good Enough to Fetch Eric Alterman's Dry Cleaning

It's a tough time to be an aspiring public intellectual. You've got the master's, you've got the recognized byline, and you discover those things qualify you for what exactly? To be lefty pundit Eric Alterman's researcher/secretary. According to an email forwarded to us last night:

a) You have at least a master's degree in American history or a closely related field like American studies, or, you have at least two years experience as historical researcher or editor or as a particularly impressive intellectually-oriented journalist on say, a Matt Yglesias or SARAH WILDMAN level (which means I should already be acquainted with your work).

b) You already live, or will be living, in or around New York City two weeks from today.

c) You can make a commitment to work 20-40 hours a week at least until Labor Day

d) You are independent, efficient, grown-up, well-organized, and discrete. </blockquote>

The worst part is that we have no doubt there'll be lots of competition.