[lbo-talk] Republicans see opportunity in split

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jul 27 18:37:38 PDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Nathan Newman wrote:

> We will see how the split effects Americans Coming Together, but they are
> working to use the names of everyone canvassed last year to build more of
> a precinct system where on-the-ground people would be doing more of the
> coordination in any local area.

That sounds like a huge improvement -- parachuted in out-of-staters seemed to be at a big disadvantage compared to Republican locals.

But there still seem to be 2 disadvantages:

1) ACT isn't the only 527 get out the vote group; MoveOn and others had their own, and without centralization, the work will be duplicative at best, counterproductive at worst (people really seemed to get pissed when they were hit on too often); and

2) Feingold-McCain puts 527 GOTV workers under all kinds of weird restrictions that party-based GOTV workers aren't under -- like they can't mention the candidate's name or put his likeness in their literature.

Michael