[lbo-talk] Re: court upholds CDA

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 28 10:39:24 PDT 2005

Dear List:

Nathan writes:

> Does the law target safe sex information?

It targets that which is obscene according to local community standards. And a lot of safe sex material has been so deemed.

> If it did, that would at least be a better challenge for mobilizing
support than what was described in the initial email.

Unfortunately, no one who publishes safe sex material has come forward. Barbara was brave and committed enough to do so. We cannot always pick our champions.

> Part of my annoyance with legal campaigns is that because they
don't need political support, they often choose cases in a way that almost seems designed to alienate the public.

The problem is that a lot of the public is alienated already. Most people do not even want to think about porn, much less champion it (despite the fact that it is a multi-billion industry so there must be somebody out there reading/viewing the stuff).

We are never going to win people over to porn (at least publically). So it is a catch-22. Ideally, we should get the public on our side, but few people are willing to deal openly with issues that concern sexuality (I will stop at this point so as not to lower LBO once again into the sewer of sordidness it recently fell prey too).

> Legal campaigns such as that by the NAACP may have used the
courts strategically, but always with an eye to supporting other legislative campaigns.

Ideally, yes. But there are no legistlative campaigns in support of porn or gay marriage (and not likely to exist in my lifetime).

Brian