[lbo-talk] A time of doubt for atheists

Tommy Kelly tkelly15450 at charter.net
Thu Jul 28 12:01:47 PDT 2005

Jim wrote: "Dialectical materialism -- or what might better be termed Marxian ontology and epistemology or critical realism -- might be a religion, but need not be."

When it comes to the topic of dialectics, I tend to agree with Noam Chomsky:

"Dialectics is one that I've never understood, actually - I've just never understood what the word means. Marx doesn't use it, incidentally, it's used by Engels.|...| I haven't the foggiest idea what it is. It seems to mean something about complexity, or alternative positions, or change, or something. I don't know." [p228 "Understanding Power"]