[lbo-talk] gratuitous anti-Bush jokes

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 28 12:48:57 PDT 2005

>LTHOUGH I LIKE A GOOD GEORGE W. BUSH JOKE AS MUCH AS THE NEXT GUY, SOME OF THEM SEEM GRATUITOUS AND
>MEAN-SPIRITED.

>BY MATT ALEXANDER
- - - -
>Q: How many telemarketers does it take to screw in a light bulb?....and so on

I saw these on Mcsweeneys a week or so ago, my take was that they weren't meant to be takne a literal jokes rather they are a way-too-clever play on the Bush tactic of turning legitimate questions of loyalty, and usually framed with a nasty personal bent. Meta-humor as it were.

I dunno, it wasn't that funny when I thought of them that way, it's even less funny when the potential explanation is typed out.

Mind you the Patriot Act one is legitimately funny.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon