[lbo-talk] Republicans see opportunity in split

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 28 16:42:09 PDT 2005

Michael Hoover wrote:

>fwiw: some mainstream poli sci people claim there is little
>difference in political attitudes of voters and non-voters, thus,
>they assert that markedly higher turnout would produce few
>differences in already existing outcomes...

Yup. I presented some evidence of that a while back and was roundly denounced by Nathan & Co.

Apropos turnout benefiting the Dems: the standard wisdom I was citing was that of pundits, not political scientists.

In Australia, people are fined if they don't vote. Thus, most people participate in the elections and, of course, one of Shrub's best poly-pals, John Howard has been Prime Minister for years now. To be sure, the Labor Party, which is full of Tony Blair clones, awaits in the wings. Personally, I think it would be great to see Labor MP Julia Gillard become PM. Ah, but more proletarian pipe-dreaming on my part, I'm afraid. Raising the non-voting fines might get 100% turnout, but I'm afraid the problem of conservative conformism amongst the "middle class" (Nixon's old "silent majority") would not be solved by such a measure.

Best, Mike B)

****************************************************************** Time would pass, old empires would fall and new ones take their place, the relations of classes had to change, before I discovered that it is not quality of goods and utility that matter, but movement; not where you are or what you have, but where you come from, where you are going and the rate at which you are getting there. C.L.R. James, BEYOND A BOUNDARY (1963), 116-117.

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal