[lbo-talk] Doug's 'Behind the News' on your PCS phone

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Thu Jul 28 18:45:09 PDT 2005

For those with Sprint PCS mobile service in the US (and only those with Sprint, for now), a handful of programmers have developed a nifty little java software app for Vision-equipped phones that are capable of downloading and utilizing such things. Basically, it allows you to stream and listen to podcasts on your phone if you've left your iPod at home, or just haven't been compelled to spring for one as yet.

The software's still in the beta stages, but I'm happy to report that Doug's radio show (at least, the most current weekly episode - right now, it's the Barbara Ehrenreich interview) works great on my phone, thanks to some input from me and some helpful info from Jordan. Of course, the software probably doesn't work on *all* Sprint phones, but lots of people have been reporting that even older phones, and speakerphone-less phones (the enterprising software somehow makes use of the ringer speaker in some cases) have been working just peachy.

The signup is easy, and what's more, you can add all your favorite podcasts - the WFMU hip hop show, your favorite techtalk blogs, the BBC's 'From Our Own Correspondent', whatever - by going to the Pod2Mob webpage, filling in the RSS info in a very simple form, and adding the newly-created item to your Pod2Mob favorites. Then, it's just a matter of launching the app on your phone and selecting the podcast you want to hear.

The service is free at the moment. (I don't know what the developers' future plans are for the project...) And, as noted, it's still in the beta stage, so the occasional bug may be in evidence.

Here's the website:

http://www.pod2mob.com/

--

/ dave /