[lbo-talk] Pointless polls

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 04:38:00 PDT 2005

Reading an interview with the Fall's Mark E Smith, I stumbled upon one of the most egregiously pointless polls I've ever seen online, and I've seen quite a few:

Is Northern Ireland British or Irish? British Irish Not sure

(for the record, 44pc say British, 41pc say Irish and 15pc don't know). (http://www.metro.co.uk/metro/interviews/interview.html?in_page_id=8&in_interview_id=1135)

Is this what Zizek calls a placebo of democracy? One can 'have one's say' on anything, but this right disappears when it comes to making a real difference?

Zizek: It is a well-known fact that the "Close the door" button in most elevators is a totally disfunctional placebo, placed there just to give the individuals the impression that they are somehow participating, contributing to the speed of the elevator journey - when we push this button, the door closes in exactly the same time as when we just pressed the floor button without "speeding up" the process by pressing also the "Close the door" button. This extreme case of fake participation is an appropriate metaphor of the participation of individuals in our "postmodern" political process. (http://www.lacan.com/zizeklenin34.htm)

Simon

___________________________________________________________ To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com