[lbo-talk] Republicans see opportunity in split

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Jul 29 07:34:17 PDT 2005

Michael Hoover wrote:
>fwiw: some mainstream poli sci people claim there is little
>difference in political attitudes of voters and non-voters, thus,
>they assert that markedly higher turnout would produce few
>differences in already existing outcomes...

-Yup. I presented some evidence of that a while back and was roundly -denounced by Nathan & Co.

Because it makes no sense. Poorer voters are more Democratic and vote less often than richer voters.

For turnout not to make a difference in favor of Democrats, that would mean that poor non-voters are more Republican than poor voters.

So for the political attitudes of voters and non-voters overall to be the same, you'd have to have a dramatic difference in political attitudes between voters and non-voters among poor voters-- a really odd result.

-- Nathan Newman