[lbo-talk] FW: Intelligent Design

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Jul 29 07:48:40 PDT 2005

That's pretty much the line of argument that Stephen Jay Gould used in defending evolution against creationist attacks. Gould pointed out that both evolution and creationism could explain the appearance of design in living organisms but Darwinian theory was better able to provide more plausible, more parsimonious, and more testable explanations for the apparently poor or incompetent design of many features of living organisms such as the nightmarish design of the human spine, or the fact that we possess organs like the appendix which do nothing positive for us except to get infected on occasion.