[lbo-talk] Fitch on The Split

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 07:38:47 PDT 2005

> What do people think of the idea that the truncated AFL-CIO
> can't expand because it represents relatively high-wage
> workers in stagnant employment sectors -- and that the
> SEIU-led C2W coalition can't expand because the resistance
> to it is so strong?

JL: >Sorry to be curt, but I read that as "You can't win, so you might as well just give up." Well, fuck that.<

It's interesting but Nathan's and Fitch's interpretations seem to be a matter of glass half-full/half-empty. Nathan sees the Big Split as not having any serious negative effects on organized labor's fate, while Fitch sees it has having no important positive effect.

optimist: the glass is half full. pessimist: the glass is half empty. realist: it's half a glass of water. surrealist: it's a cow.

JD