[lbo-talk] Fitch on The Split

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sat Jul 30 07:57:15 PDT 2005

A fundamental historic question in the matter of labor rights hinges on invidious distinctions purporting to separate more- from less-legitimate workers. This goes back to the ancient craft unions' attitudes about jobs and people outside their trades. Labor's struggle is all about legitimizing and regularizing -- in terms of basic rights, benefits, and pay -- increasing sectors of the working class, broadly defined. An exemplary issue is expanding FLSA to people in workfare and "work-experience" programs.

The gender context here is central, given the downgraded status of work that tends to be done by women.

Any expansion of organization in this context should be cause for celebration. Fitch is all wet on this. AFAIAC, if we could organize thumb-twiddlers that would be an advance too. Walker could be union president, and I'd be Secy-Treasurer.

mbs