[lbo-talk] POR testimonials

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 30 15:46:13 PDT 2005

<http://www.partyoftheright.org/quotes.htm>

What is the Party of the Right?

"The Party of the Right is a group of people who prefer a bad paradox to a good cliche."

Andrei Navrozov Former Publisher, Yale Literary Magazine Translator, Second Nature: Forty-Six Poems by Boris Leonidovich Pasternak

"Within the minority of those who think, we are the minority of those who think for pleasure. We believe the only joy intellect can bring is feeling itself alive."

Richard Antony Vigilante, Sometime Chairman Articles Editor, New York Magazine and National Review

"What we want in a member of the P.O.R. is not any particular political leaning, but a certain principled outlook, a critical and discerning mind, a high sense of personal honor."

Susan Kathryn Ivan Schaeffer, Sometime Chairman

"But for the rest of my life, when I wrestle with myself and get pinned and come back for another bout, I will make the effort in part because of the P.O.R., the late-night talks over grinders, those maddening, insistent, respectful questions, that pompous port and sherry."

Richard Stark Brookhiser, Sometime Chairman Senior Editor, National Review Author, Outside Story: How Democrats and Republicans Re-Elected Reagan, The Way of the WASP, Founding Father: Rediscovering George Washington, Rules of Civility: The 110 Precepts That Guided Our First President in War and Peace and Alexander Hamilton, American

"I have never held the highest office in the Yale Political Union -- Chairman of the Party of the Right."

William Robert Leake Former President of the Political Union

"If you care about why you think what you think, if you refuse to succumb to fashionable cynicism about politics and ideas, the Party of the Right could be the most important organization you will ever join."

Robert Lansing Pollock, Sometime Chairman Editorial writer, The Wall Street Journal

"The Party of the Right is the last small party of the Yale community whose members can still say with a straight face, 'We are here to make leaders.' The Party does raise our expectations, and this will often make life more difficult. It isn't easy to circulate one's resume to various New York firms with the item, 'Career Objective: Conquest of Asia.'"

Charles Edward Bork Free-lance writer, photographer and war correspondent

"The Party of the Right is the most important organization an intelligent young conservative can join in America today."

Margaret Anne Gallagher, Sometime Chairman Former Associated Editor, National Review Author, The Enemies of Eros and The Abolition of Marriage: How We Destroy Lasting Love

"The purpose of the Party of the Right is to stir up in man a dissatisfaction with his predicament, awaken in him a thirst for the real pleasures of existence, and set him on the road towards that truth about himself he already enjoys in the anticipation."

Daniel Patrick Peter Moloney, Sometime Chairman Associate Editor, First Things

"I don't remember my P.O.R. days -- I was drunk all the time."

Richard Clarence Cowan, Sometime Chairman