[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Good bad writing]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 30 20:29:43 PDT 2005

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: OT - Good bad writing Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:46:25 -0400 From: "Rickard A. Parker" <raparker at THEWORLD.COM> To: TSE at PO.MISSOURI.EDU

Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest 2005 Results See many of the entries at http://www2.sjsu.edu/depts/english/2005.htm

A 43-year-old quantitative analyst for Microsoft Great Plains is the winner of the 23rd running of the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest. A resident of Fargo, North Dakota, McKay is currently visiting China, perhaps to escape notoriety for his dubious literary achievement.

His entry, [In this post I have put it below] extolling a subject that has engaged poets for millennia, may have been inspired by Roxie Hart of the musical "Chicago." Complaining of her husband's ineptitude in the boudoir, Roxie laments, "Amos was . . . zero. I mean, he made love to me like he was fixing a carburetor or something."

An international literary parody contest, the competition honors the memory (if not the reputation) of Victorian novelist Edward George Earl Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873). The goal of the contest is childishly simple: entrants are challenged to submit bad opening sentences to imaginary novels. Although best known for "The Last Days of Pompeii" (1834), which has been made into a movie three times, originating the expression "the pen is mightier than the sword," and phrases like "the great unwashed" and "the almighty dollar," Bulwer-Lytton opened his novel Paul Clifford (1830) with the immortal words that the "Peanuts" beagle Snoopy plagiarized for years, "It was a dark and stormy night."

THE 2005 WINNER IS:

Dan McKay of Fargo, ND who wrote:

As he stared at her ample bosom, he daydreamed of the dual Stromberg carburetors in his vintage Triumph Spitfire, highly functional yet pleasingly formed, perched prominently on top of the intake manifold, aching for experienced hands, the small knurled caps of the oil dampeners begging to be inspected and adjusted as described in chapter seven of the shop manual.