[lbo-talk] Wind farm chosen to power Perth's desalination plant

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 31 01:43:03 PDT 2005

Western Australia also contains oil, iron and other natural resources which its capitalists are exporting, much of it being sold to capitalists in India and China. The WA government is also funding research and development of a new wave power technology.

Gallop is a member of the Labor Party, representing the district I live in.

Regards from down under, Mike B)

26/07/05

Premier Geoff Gallop has today announced that renewable energy from a major new wind farm in Western Australia's Mid-West will power Perth's new $387million seawater desalination plant in Kwinana.

Dr Gallop said the power supply arrangement, negotiated between the Water Corporation as owners of the desalination plant and Western Power as energy suppliers, would make the desalination plant the largest facility of its kind in the world to be powered by renewable energy.

The new 80-megawatt Emu Downs Wind Farm will consist of 48 wind turbines and will be located 30km east of Cervantes.

The Emu Downs Wind Farm proposal was developed by Stanwell Corporation, a Queensland Government-owned power generation corporation and WA-based Griffin Energy. Construction of the wind farm is expected to begin later this year.

"We have delivered on our election commitment to power the Kwinana desalination plant by renewable energy," the Premier said.

"This is also a step towards meeting our renewable energy target - six per cent in the South-West Interconnected System by 2010 - established as part of our Renewable Energy policy."

Dr Gallop said the arrangement meant that Western Power would become the State's largest provider of wind-generated electricity and the Water Corporation WA's biggest user of renewable power.

"This is a brilliant example of sustainability being put in to practice. All parties involved in the negotiations are to be congratulated," he said.

The Premier said his Government was committed to creating new jobs and protecting and enhancing WA's unique lifestyle and environment.

"The pairing of the desalination plant and wind farm is a win for the environment and will bring a range of benefits to the WA community in terms of business opportunities, jobs, training and tourism," he said.

"The renewable energy from Emu Downs is expected to displace the emission of 220,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere - the equivalent of removing 50,000 cars from WA roads.

"The future of the State's water supply will be boosted with the desalination plant to increase water supply by 45 gigalitres per year by the summer of 2006-07.

"Both projects will also create jobs for Western Australians, with the workforce on the desalination plant likely to peak at about 200 people over the next 18 months.

"In addition, we have a commitment from the developers of the wind farm to use local labour and services where possible and to provide training opportunities for the local community within the Shire of Dandaragan.

"There will also be long-term tourism benefits associated with the wind farm as the project includes a car park and viewing area for visitors."

Premier's office: 9222 9475

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/media/media.nsf/dcb641cb714dff7e48256de900111082/87b75568cfceaa884825704a000ad655?OpenDocument

****************************************************************** Time would pass, old empires would fall and new ones take their place, the relations of classes had to change, before I discovered that it is not quality of goods and utility that matter, but movement; not where you are or what you have, but where you come from, where you are going and the rate at which you are getting there. C.L.R. James, BEYOND A BOUNDARY (1963), 116-117.

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal

____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs