[lbo-talk] A time of doubt for atheists

Autoplectic autoplectic at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 07:16:01 PDT 2005

On 7/31/05, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Autoplectic <autoplectic at gmail.com> wrote:
> As Margaret Mead once said, the point is to get over
> such an
> experience.
>
> --
>
> Why? So they can be like you?

----------------------

Nobody could or would want to be like me any more than I can or want to be like Dale Earnhardt Jr. It ain't about ego.

> Methinks it funny that (some) people who bewail the
> loss of local cultures under "globalization" seem to
> think everybody should be an atheist. That world would
> be quite boring.
>
> Nu, zayats, pogodi!

If the varieties of theism and other religious belief systems on the planet today didn't lead to so much violence and petty bickering, especially given that we have no agreed upon decision procedures to determine the truth falsity of their claims, then yeah such variety and difference might make our world a more interesting place. Alas, as it stands now lots of the theists in the US are turning the country into a place every bit as boring as the Moon. Control freaks suck whatever the flavor of theistic backing they use to justify their desire for social control. I don't see how a globalized atheistic culture could be worse than that. Yes, atheist control freaks suck too.

Ian

-- "I'll judge you all and make damn sure that no-one judges me" [Jethro Tull]