[lbo-talk] A time of doubt for atheists

Mycos mycos at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 31 16:10:42 PDT 2005

Autoplectic wrote:
> On 7/30/05, Mycos <mycos at shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>But surely the facts of a matter speak to truth better than some
>>"mere mortal" saying that they've had an experience wherein they are
>>certain that they now know religion X, y or Z is the true religion, no?
>

> ----------------------
>
> By your own argument a Catholic receiving communion is *in fact*
> merely eating a wafer and some mildly fermented grape juice. Surely
> there is a problem with using the term *in fact* when it comes to
> religious experiences.
>
> Ian

Well. Not to push the obvious, but yeah. That's precisely what they are drinking and that is "all" they are eating.

The thing is, we can keep throwing the works of different philosophers or existentialists back and forth, but at some point you need to draw a line in order to live a life of practical existence.We cannot live entirely in our heads and keep our bodies functioning. In any case, I have drawn it. And that line is one where I accept that which is generally recognized by science. I state this with the caveat* that science (and man) do not know all, likely never will and are at this moment almost certainly wrong about a number of things accepted as "givens".

Indeed, in the end the human brain... as it physically exists.... may be entirely incapable of comprehending the "truth" about existence. Just as a fruit fly cannot "do" philosophy, perhaps we cannot "do" a complete understanding of existence. As such, I am going to make the best of it and cling to that understanding of existence which shows the best promise for enabling myself and the species to survive. And yes, I'm going to assume that surviving is somehow important, for some reason that is not really clear to me as yet (not being entirely facetious).

*not really even a caveat, but actually just good science.

--

Gary Williams

Prohibition Funds Terrorism ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://mycos.blogspot.com