[lbo-talk] Re: Do we owe it all to the hippies

Seth Kulick skulick at linc.cis.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 1 03:57:05 PDT 2005

> Subject: [lbo-talk] Do we owe it all to the hippies?

> Do we owe it all to the hippies?
> By Charles Cooper

[...]
> Meanwhile, Northern California had attracted the talents of brilliant
> thinkers such as Doug Engelbart, Fred Moore, Alan Kay and Ted Nelson--not to
> mention the sundry hobbyists who belonged to the now legendary Homebrew
> Computer Club.

I still have Ted Nelson's 1977 book on the Home Computer Revolution sitting on my desk.

I'm not sure what to think of the article, but if recall right, the late great Creative Computing magazine magazine in its early days had a strong counterculture geek feel to it. How many computer magazines these days would run Robert Crumb cartoons?

Wow! I just found some of this on the web. They also ran the The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers http://www.atariarchives.org/bcc1/showpage.php?page=126 and in general, take a look at the contents of The Best of Creative Computing Volume 1 http://www.atariarchives.org/bcc1/