[lbo-talk] nice shaft

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Jun 1 09:52:55 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Buchanan is onto something, even if he is overstating his case.
>
> The legalization of interracial marriage was certainly a major defeat
> for formalized racial segregation. Obviously racism has not gone away,
> but the fact that it's impossible to advocate against interracial
> marriage in public today is a sign that - as Buchanan said of same-sex
> marriage - it's not the 1950s anymore.
>
> It's worth savoring even a partial victory now & then.

Have you come around to agreeing with my points last year about the culture wars?

The religious right thinks it has more power this year thanks to a few media items that misled people into thinking that the religious right exploded in numbers all of a sudden. They are trying to revive the culture wars, but are having little luck other than the gay marriage stuff last year, which, of course, happened several months after the surprising gay marriage "revolution."

Thomas Frank recently pointed out that Bush is on record as being dismissive of the culture war. Somebody asked him in January if he was going to push the anti-gay marriage stuff and he said "no."

Chuck