[lbo-talk] Re: Vive La France!

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at rogers.com
Wed Jun 1 10:32:54 PDT 2005

Wendy Lyon asked:

> Any Canadians on the list? How would the idea of a federal North
> America go down in your neck of the woods?

Well, I'm all for it, provided the right of the US South to secede is fully respected. And the new union would need to include medicare. The national health system is the reason why Canadians would never ever go for political union with the US, even though the cultural and economic ties demand it. If the States had medicare, the balance would tilt in the other direction with eager Canadians wanting to compete for jobs across the border.

Besides medicare, hockey is the other source of national pride. But Canada also has the world's best basketball player to offset that.

Of course, the Republicans would never allow Canada to join the US. It would result in a permanent Democratic Party majority.

MG