[lbo-talk] Human Events On theTen Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th Centuries

Mycos mycos at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 1 15:13:54 PDT 2005

Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> i was just noticing the same thing. i'm curious about their scoring,
> now. clearly not everyone put the manifesto in first place, or it
> ought to have 150 points, right? not that it matters, but it IS
> bizarre.
>
> i also noticed that there are a lot of academics on that list of
> reviewers, including princeton and northwestern. not that i've heard
> of either of them. it must be lonely for them at those bastions of
> left-wing radicalism.
>

>>Actually, when I look through this thing more carefully, one comes to
>>the opinion that Schlafly throws a lot more weight in these circles than
>>her single vote would suggest.
>

> curious as to why you say this.

I was just thinking that most everything else has a strong ideological/political component whereas there are a few books like the Kinsey Report, the Feminine Mystique and the that old Margaret Mead title wherein the concept of "free love" (aka them damned hippies! <g>),

makes one of it's first appearances. To me at least, these all seem quite out of place, yet they are all precisely the type of thing Schlafly would rail against.

--

Gary Williams