[lbo-talk] Re: theism, atheism and dont give a fuckism

J. Tyler jptyler at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 17:02:39 PDT 2005

It isn't a debate about the "true" meaning of words. It's a debate about the conventions, which isn't entirely useless, because establishing conventions is the basis of communication and any rational discussion of anything, such as, for example, a discussion of why it is rational to be a positive (or strong) atheist (if one were actually having that discussion and were so inclined to defend the position).

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Jim Devine Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:28 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: theism, atheism and dont give a fuckism

I'm sorry that I brought up agnosticism. It brought up a useless debate about the true meaning of words...

Since such meanings are totally a matter of convention, such debates can go on forever.

On 5/31/05, J. Tyler <jptyler at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Just do the linguistics.
>
> Consider the proposition: God exists.
>
> Anybody who accepts the proposition as true is a theist. Anybody who
> rejects the truth value of the proposition is an atheist (including
> those who "don't know," as that is a rejection of the proposition's
> truth).
>
> Anybody who is not a theist (i.e., affirmatively accepts the truth of
> the proposition "God exists") is an atheist (hence the prefix).
> Within atheism, one can take a couple of different positions.
> Consider the
> proposition: God does not exist.
-- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- K. Marx, paraphrasing Dante A.