[lbo-talk] New Sex drugs

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Wed Jun 1 18:51:10 PDT 2005

At 8:33 PM -0700 31/5/05, Miles Jackson wrote:

>In short, I still think female orgasms are a spandrel. If women
>were motivated by solely by orgasms to have sexual activity, let's
>face it--vaginal intercourse wouldn't be anywhere near the top of
>the list.
>

>>To put it
>>vulgarly, "fucking ability is more important than fighting ability in
>>measuring Darwinian fitness."
>
>But even more important than "fucking ability": support and nurturing
>of offspring after they're born. --My reproductive success is pretty
>low if I fuck many women, have many offspring, and they all die
>because I'm not around to protect and feed them, yes?

Exactly, but that doesn't imply that orgasm isn't relevant. As I say, it is relevant to forming relationships between parents, which seems likely to increase the survival chances of any offspring.

By co-incidence, here's some relevant science. Especially note that "oxytocin, also known as the "cuddle" hormone, is released by both men and women at sexual orgasm":

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200506/s1382513.htm

'Trust me' says cuddle hormone

ABC Online news Thursday, June 2, 2005. 7:00am

It could be criminals' dream drug - a hormone that makes people trust you.

Scientists in Switzerland and the United States have found that exposing people to the hormone oxytocin makes them more willing to bond with others.

The same people exposed to the hormone but faced with a computer did not show increased willingness to take risks.

"Oxytocin specifically affects an individual's willingness to accept social risks arising through interpersonal interactions," they wrote in the science journal Nature.

It is hardly surprising - oxytocin, also known as the "cuddle" hormone, is released by both men and women at sexual orgasm.

The bloodstream levels have been shown to rise during massage but fall with recollection of a negative emotion.

"We find that intranasal administration of oxytocin causes a substantial increase in trusting behaviour," the scientists wrote.

But they have added a warning.

"Of course, this finding could be misused to induce trusting behaviours that selfish actors subsequently exploit."

- Reuters