[lbo-talk] New Sex drugs

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jun 1 21:13:07 PDT 2005

> CB's argument assumes that female orgasm must have emerged because it
> encouraged women to more frequently have sex and thus reproduce. However,
> for many female primates (including humans!), the act of intercourse does
> not automatically or even typically provoke orgasms.

The old questions, the old answers, nothing like 'em :o)

Fwiw, my own favorite speculations on this question remain those of Elaine Morgan in her 1972 book _Descent of Woman_:

If anyone ends up buying or browsing the new Elizabeth Lloyd book, I would love if you could tell me offlist if she spends a chapter responding to Morgan's theories. (I was hoping to browse the TOC on Amazon, but this is one where you can't.)

Michael