[lbo-talk] John & Andrea

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jun 2 08:17:04 PDT 2005

New York Post [Page Six] - June 2, 2005

ODDEST COUPLE

SOME of the elderly staffers at AARP The Magazine in D.C. are agog over revelations in New York magazine about managing editor John Stoltenberg, 60. It was no secret Stoltenberg was the husband of radical feminist Andrea Dworkin, who died in April. But Ariel Levy's article reveals that Stoltenberg, who is gay, never consummated his marriage with Dworkin, who claimed to be a lesbian although a close friend said, "In 30-plus years of knowing her, I've never heard of a single romance with a woman - not one." The story also says Stoltenberg continued to have sex with men throughout the marriage: "Yeah, I did have male lovers. Sexual partners." Asked if he and Dworkin had a sexual relationship, he whispered, "We were really close."