[lbo-talk] Why think sociobiologically (at least sometimes)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 2 08:21:28 PDT 2005

ravi wrote:

> sociobiology is not the only biological explanation. i (among others)
> have provided links to various critiques *within biology* (by
> biologists) of the "explanations" of sociobiology. the first part of
> your post is valid. the second part is mere flamebait.

This has always been my understanding of sociobiology -- independently of whether it is good or bad social analysis, it is bad biology, and like other forms of bad science is a barrier rather than an aid to understanding the biological grounding of human behavior.

Among non-biologists in particular, bad science drives out good science; pseudo-materialism drives out materialism.

Carrol