[lbo-talk] Biology vs. Sociobiology

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jun 2 09:32:29 PDT 2005

At 11:40 AM 6/2/2005, John Adams wrote:

>I find it hard to believe there isn't at least one M-to-F transexual who's
>tried this, and I also find it hard to believe that, if it worked, it
>wouldn't be done often enough for it to have been heard of.
>
>I could be wrong,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_lactation

Also, the town where I'm from had a breast feeding assistance program -- not La Leche!--that was an award winning program. Working with the group after my son was born, I learned that a lot more male lactation goes on than we hear about. Men have sometimes gone through hormone therapy so they can breast feed adopted children -- and some women who've adopted have, too.

About 3 months after my son was born, the wasband and I wanted to spend a day alone together for our anniversary. We left him with my mother--in Vermont--and took off for Boston. I was breastfeeding, so I stored a lot of milk ahead of time and froze it, so my mother could use breast milk to feed him.

Before we left, we were testing things out, warming up the milk. Standing in the kitchen talking, I said how funny it was that breast milk was so thin. Given the fat content, you'd think it'd be thicker. At some point or other I said, "wonder what it tastes like. Must be good."

So, mom tasted some--a drop that was on her wrist from testing the warmth.

The next day, my menopausal mother was lactating -- simply from having a baby around (the 'let down' effect) and probably from the hormones in the milk.

kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin