[lbo-talk] Biology vs. Sociobiology: Big Breasts and Bonsai

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:41:12 PDT 2005

> Why do men think that it was men, rather than women, who were the
> main determinant of sexual selection of humans, unlike other animals?
> :-> In any case, once again, there is a structural reason: a larger
> brain -> a change in skull shape -> bigger breasts.

I don't endorse Harris's theory as much as I don't know of the competing theories very well. The point was that sexual selection can play a role, unlike as in ("bad") sociobiology.

> Bentley says, "It could be a combo here. The pressure for the shape
> of the breast was initially from this need to feed the baby and then,
> secondarily, men may have evolved to find the breast of this shape
> and size more sexually interesting. The convergence of the two
> pressures could have evolved into more successfully reproducing
> females."

right. It is likely a "combo." Further, cultural differences can encourage biological differences. (African males' fascination with the female butt might encourage females to develop larger butts, etc.)

-- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl M., paraphrasing Dante A.