[lbo-talk] Canada-US health care (was Vive La France!)

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 19:39:21 PDT 2005

Jordan:

John Thornton has convinced me: there's not one thing to say that's bad about health care in Canada and there's everything wrong with it in the US.

================

Oh.

Yes, I'm as big a fan of non sequiturs, smart aleck-y comebacks and glittering misdirects as the next fellow sitting at the bar imitating James Mason in 'North by Northwest'. But really sir, this is as big an error as showing up at the hardware store to pick up a gallon of milk.

Let's deploy the not-so-very-wayback machine.

You may recall that the present drama began when you wrote, in so many words, that 'the problem of the uninsured' probably wasn't a problem at all because people either made enough money to pay for coverage or received government support if they found themselves at or below the 'poverty line'.

Several folks offered evidence to the contrary of that view.

Somehow, an alchemical transformation occurred and we're transported to the field of honor, leveling dueling pistols over whether the Canadian or American health systems are flawless.

Which brings us to that snafu-a-riffic CBS article you posted:

<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/20/health/main681801.shtml?cmp=EM8705

Nicely played, but computer assisted forms of stupidity, waste and inefficiency (perhaps the very definition of modernity in its current, woolly mammoth trapped in ice stage) wasn't the item being dissected; it was the question of medical insurance and, by wider implication, lack of access to care within the U.S. for millions of people.

.d.