[lbo-talk] 265 cracks of the whip

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 21:09:59 PDT 2005

Sacher-Masoch (author of the masochist classic Venus in Furs) was a Ritter, a Knight (in England you's call him Sir, unless you were Wanda, in which case you'd call him Worm), not a Marquis. His name and title are Leopold Ritter von Sacher-Masoch, the title comes from his noble Ukrainian mother, His father was a commoner, a police chief.

I guess it depends on who you are whether he gets less press. Some people like him a lot. His writing is much better but less prolific than Sade's, and he didn't live so outwardly spectacular a life.

His great grand-daughter is Marianne Faithfull, for those who care about such things. Don't know whether they share similar sexual proclivities.

jks