[lbo-talk] Congress to Study Slaves' Role in Capitol

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 02:59:58 PDT 2005

Who would have thought that between the work of the French architect Major Pierre Charles L'Enfant, the black draftsman Benjamin Banneker, and the labor of hundreds of black slaves, such a monument to Anglocentric Francophobia could have been built?

-B.

Congress to Study Slaves Role in Capitol

By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press WriterTue May 31, 4:01 PM ET

The U.S. Capitol was built with the labor of slaves who cut the logs, laid the stones and baked the bricks. Two centuries later, Congress has decided the world should know about this.

Congressional leaders on Tuesday announced the creation of a task force to study the history of slave labor in the construction of the Capitol and suggest how it can best be commemorated.

"It is our hope that the work of the task force will shed light on this part of our history, the building of our nation's greatest symbol of democracy," House Speaker Dennis Hastert, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, and Democratic leaders Rep. Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record) and Sen. Harry Reid (news, bio, voting record) said in a joint statement.

Historians say slaves were the largest labor pool when Congress in 1790 decided to create a new national capital along the Potomac surrounded by the two slave-owning states of Maryland and Virginia.

More at: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/capitol_slaves;_ylt=Agsy9jb1RGj9ljXcbEYFTdcDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl