[lbo-talk] Canada-US health care (was Vive La France!)

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Jun 3 08:03:45 PDT 2005

Jordan Hayes writes:

>we're talking about no more than $34k of household income for the lower
>two. Wait, let's back up for a minute: 15.6% of the population doesn't
>have insurance (holy smokes, health insurance is "within the means" of
>84.4% of the entire population!).

This is why talking only about the uninsured (of which I am one, by the way) is such a terrible strategy to win national health insurance. Most people have insurance. It is crappy, insecure, job-dependent and getting more expensive every day. It has co-pays, deductibles, denials, and massive, unfathomable paperwork. It is the threat of uninsurance, and the reality of crappy, overpriced insurance which should be examined.

Focusing on the uninsured also leads to the conclusion that if only those people were covered, everything would be fine. Hence, cover people at 150% of the poverty level, etc., leaving the insurance co. vampires responsible for the disaster untouched.

Jenny Brown