[lbo-talk] Looking for Color in the Anti-War Movement

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Jun 3 12:54:32 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> In any case, I'm not sure this is the full story. One of the first
> anti-Iraq war demos in NYC was in the northeastern corner of Central
> Park, right at the edge of Harlem. It would have been quite accessible
> to people walking by, but it remained almost all white. It may be -
> emphasis on the may - that people of color are more concerned with
> immediate survival issues than with foreign policy. Antiwar organizers
> have tried to draw connections between war abroad and austerity at home,
> but it doesn't seem to be working.

Martinez is a one note activist writer. This essay sounds like her problematic post-Seattle essay, but with the names and movements switched around.

I roll my eyes when I read this stuff. This boilerplate identity politics guilt-tripping ignores the many people of color active in our movements and completely ignores the work that many activists are doing to make the movements more inclusive, or at least conscious about working as allies with POC movements and organizations.

Chuck