[lbo-talk] Digestimundo vavavoom(Re: lbo-talk Digest, Vol 18, Issue 17)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 4 21:08:45 PDT 2005

>From: snitsnat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com>
>
>... I think it's funny when social scientists make claims about the 'base'
>habits of the majority of the population and then claim to have somehow
>escaped those baser desires themselves ...

That's exactly what makes my skin crawl about the social "sciences," in whose company I spent many unhappy moments in college. I think using the model of science for studying humanity has had a pernicious effect on people's understanding of themselves and others. This notion of being a "social scientist" is just a distancing mechanism to put the observer in a detached -- and elevated -- position respective to other individuals. Is there any wonder there is no little capacity for empathy left in this society when this demented POV infects so much of daily living?

Carl