[lbo-talk] Kant's proof of God /al-Qaeda leprechauns

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 02:40:11 PDT 2005

--- Andy F <andyf274 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> No, no, I don't mean leprechauns in general. I mean
> THE ONE RIGHT BEHIND YOU! HE'S IN THE HOUSE!
> OHMIGOD!
>
> Seriously though, you can use the same appeal to
> ignorance for possible existence of Jason the
> Leprechaun just as well as miracles in general. We
> just can't prove it ain't so (if you turn around,
> Jason goes invisible), so we're supposed to consider
> it a mystery?

It's _possible_. Moreover, probability has an objective and subjective side. Based on my past experience/world view, I would estimate the possibility of jason the Leprechaun existing at about 0.000000001%, but that might be the result of my own ignorance. If Jason actually does exist, then the probability of his existing is objectively 100%.

> I used to subscribe to the Skeptical Inquirer, put
> out
> by an organization that goes around investigating
> UFO
> sightings, claims of ESP and the like.

I used to read that too, along with Strange Magazine and the Fortean Times.

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding your position here,
> because
> that's what I think about those miracles....

I am in agreement with you. My position is something may certainly appear implausible to me, but ultimately what the fuck do I know? When my ex-girlfriend's son was born, the doctors told her he had at most a year to live (some kind of congenital disease). She said "fuck this," went out to a village and found some old lady who had a rep for arcane lore who did some Moogly-Moogly stuff over the kid. He's still alive 7 years later. Maybe the doctors misdiagnosed him. Maybe it was luck. Maybe the Moogly-Moogly stuff actually worked. How the fuck do I know?

Of course she also thinks she can summon the rain. :)

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________ Discover Yahoo! Stay in touch with email, IM, photo sharing and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/stayintouch.html