[lbo-talk] Anyone familiar with the Teaching Company's material?

Bryan bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sun Jun 5 08:50:25 PDT 2005

I was going to mention that they have a really good series of lectures by John Searle on the Philosophy of Mind, but I went to the Teaching Company website and it is no longer even there...figures.

Anyway, I have listened to some of their series, mostly history courses, and they are very very old-school, standard, from the rulers type history...don't expect any social history here...but some of them are good for what they are nonetheless...for instance the on the one on Alexander and the Hellenistic Period was good, Crusades was good (again taking into consideration its plain old-school historiographic context), the historiccal christ is boring but has some good tidbits, From Yao to Mao 5000 years of Chinese history is somewhat interesting, the Search for Intelligent Life series was quite good/fun to listen to surprisingly(from a scientist who works/ed on SETI).

You can find the lectures often at public and university libraries, and um...I have heard...um...that the P2P world is chock full of them...(not that I would know anything about that...ahem)...

But not one of them is worth $300 or whatever they ask for them. Maybe, perhaps if they were $40 for 30 some lectures on DVD or something ...maybe...