[lbo-talk] Digestimundo vavavoom

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Jun 5 11:23:47 PDT 2005

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Jim Devine wrote:

> I agree with Carrol: to presume that the populace isn't "rational" (in
> the sense that you are or I am) is to put oneself above them, like
> some sort of demigod. It's elitism. (BTW, "rationality" isn't always
> Hegelian.)
> JD

Implicit in this claim: "irrational" is always pejorative. Many human activities do not follow norms of rationality (e.g., Dali's paintings, exorcisms, witchcraft, Beck's lyrics, longing for someone who has bluntly told you "not interested"). Why position rationality as the gold standard for good behavior and thought? Why couldn't identification of someone's irrationality be--a compliment?

Miles