[lbo-talk] Zizek on the European Constitution..."The constitution is dead. Long live proper politics"

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Jun 5 12:27:16 PDT 2005

Bryan crossposted:

> The constitution is dead. Long live proper politics
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1498989,00.html
>
> Slavoj Zizek
>
> What the new populist right and the left share is just one thing: the
> awareness that politics proper is still alive.

Good stuff. A different Europe is possible. Slavoj hits his stride!

> To put it bluntly, do we want to live in a world in which the only
> choice is between the American civilisation and the emerging Chinese
> authoritarian-capitalist one?

Not quite Chinese, more like East Asian -- a potent admixture of Japanese capital, Chinese industry, Korean drive and Vietnamese willpower. Interestingly, East Asian elites are beginning to press for an EU-style state, i.e. a common currency, managed trade, etc. Also significant: the old export-dependent model in Southeast Asia is giving way to big infrastructure projects and domestic consumption.

-- DRR