[lbo-talk] Rocky Mtn. News series on Ward Churchill

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Sun Jun 5 18:10:48 PDT 2005

Hi LBO-talk!

I don't know who coined this thing but I know what it means. To "Fisk" means to go over someone else's document, with hostility, in a line-by-line fashion. You quote a line or two - hard-core "Fiskers" deli-slice the offending text into half-lines! - then drop a space and interpose your clever critical comment, then you quote another few words by your enemy, <CR><CR> and type in your devastating rejoinder to those few words, then slice off another foolish line from the pro-Islamo-fascist idiotarian, followed by your laser-like demolition thereof, and so on, ad nauseam. Sometimes the refutation of a single sentence in the target text takes several paragraphs. In the end, you conclude that Democrats suck, as usual, and that George W. Bush is the greatest President ever.

As far as origin goes, my guess is, some Iraq-war fan invented and named the technique after his own thoroughgoing efforts to logically refute, from the security of Mom's basement, that notorious terrist-lover Robert Fisk. The technique has good comedy potential (check out, for example, the "World O'Crap" blog http://blogs.salon.com/0002874/ ) but as far as debate about serious subjects goes it's nothing but super annoying.

While I've got you all on the line, does anybody reading this in California have any clue how one would get an apartment in Pomona for next fall? My daughter's off to college, woo hoo!

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net