[lbo-talk] Fisking

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Jun 5 20:34:57 PDT 2005

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> fisking: n.
> [blogosphere; very common] A point-by-point refutation of a blog entry
> or (especially) news story. A really stylish fisking is witty, logical,
> sarcastic and ruthlessly factual; flaming or handwaving is considered
> poor form. Named after Robert Fisk, a British journalist who was a
> frequent (and deserving) early target of such treatment.
>

> A really obnoxious term in my opinion.

A very obnoxious term.

The practice of writing point-by-point rebuttals has been around for as long as email has existed. Why do these conservative extremists think they've invented this stuff? It's like Jonah Goldberg's attempt several months ago to claim that right wingers invented blogging. Hello? Anybody heard of the zine subculture, which predated blogs by two decades?

Chuck