settle a bet Re: [lbo-talk] "Hetmen"

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 6 12:09:54 PDT 2005

--- snitsnat <snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> http://www.kozatstvo.org.ua/kerivn/shevchenko_ai.jpg
>
> OK. settle a bet.
>
> I saw that the mace is part of this guy's uniform. r
> says it's photoshopped.

He's the head of the Ukrainian Cossacks, at least this branch registered with the Ukrainian government, so I assume he's holding it in some kind of official function. Weapons are kind of their thing. A Hetman is a Cossack chief/military leader. The Cossies take themselves real seriously:

THE OATH OF COSSACK OF THE UKRAINIAN REGISTERED COSSACKDOM

I, ______________________________________________________, a Cossack of the Ukrainian registered Cossackdom, before our God the most High, give an oath of allegiance to the Mother Ukraine and the Cossacks that I shall be a patriot of Ukraine. I promise to keep up the traditions of the glorious Cossacks of Ukraine, to be a loyal friend to brotherly Cossacks, a devoted son of Mother Ukraine.

I swear I shall never betray the Ukrainian registered Cossacks, I shall stand up for the age-old values of the Ukrainian people: patriotism, cultural wealth, love of God, love of Man and all things alive. I swear I shall respect and comply with the laws of Ukraine. I swear I shall faithfully serve God, Ukraine, its people.

This I swear before our Lord God and all the Cossacks!

Glory to Ukraine!

Glory to the Ukrainian Registered Cossacks!

http://www.kozatstvo.org.ua/prysya_e.php

Nu, zayats, pogodi!