[lbo-talk] CAFE standards and oil companies

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 12:46:58 PDT 2005

On 6/5/05, Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:
> I don't know about the oil companies, but didn't the UAW support the
> industry demands?

Yes - apparently contrary to the wishes of the majority of their members.

http://michigan.sierraclub.org/press/archive/2002-01-31.html

>Auto State Gives Overwhelming Support for Raising Fuel-Economy
Standards 88 Percent of Michigan UAW Households Give Thumbs-Up to Higher Miles-Per-Gallon standards

I would still love it if anyone has info on oil companies and CAFE standards. It is just that remember this, and it scares me a little bit when I remember things that did not actually happen - much worse form of absent mindedness than forgetting something that did.

I have been told enough about how memory works to understand that memories are as much constructed as stored; so apparently we all do that occassionally. You say "Saddam" and "Osama" in the same sentence often enough and it is perfectly natural to "remember" that Saddam had connections to Osama Bin Laden. Probably the same thing happened to me with CAFE standards and the oil companies. But I'd still feel happier to find a real link. -- Please note: Personal messages should be sent to [garlpublic] followed by the [at] sign with isp of [comcast], then [dot] and then an extension of net