[lbo-talk] ...planet wide devastation

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 7 11:22:41 PDT 2005

"Leigh Meyers" <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> wrote:

I wonder who could have caused that? The Bonobos? ******************

Humans under the rule of Capital.

Best, Mike B)

******************

Environment atlas reveals planet wide devastation 03 Jun 2005 23:01:00 GMT

Source: Reuters http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L03680098.htm

By Jeremy Lovell LONDON, June 4 (Reuters) - The devastating impact of mankind on the planet is dramatically illustrated in pictures published on Saturday showing explosive urban sprawl, major deforestation and the sucking dry of inland seas over less than three decades. Mexico City mushrooms from a modest urban centre in 1973 to a massive blot on the landscape in 2000, while Beijing shows a similar surge between 1978 and 2000 in satellite pictures published by the United Nations in a new environmental atlas.

[PDF in multiple chapters: http://na.unep.net/OnePlanetManyPeople/AtlasDownload.php ]

Delhi sprawls explosively between 1977 and 1999, while from 1973 to 2000 the tiny desert town of Las Vegas turns into a monster conurbation of one million people -- placing massive strain on scarce water supplies. "If there is one message from this atlas it is that we are all part of this. We can all make a difference," U.N. expert Kaveh Zahedi told reporters at the launch of the "One Planet Many People" atlas on the eve of World Environment Day. Page after page of the 300-page book illustrate in before-and-after pictures from space the disfigurement of the face of the planet wrought by human activities. U.N. Environment Programme chief Klaus Toepfer has chosen efforts to make cities greener as this year's theme for World Environment Day on Sunday on the basis that the world is becoming increasingly urbanised.

****************************************************************** "You have deep-seated survival anxieties. And you don't like bigots, bullies, snobs or hypocrites. Subconsciously there are many people you hate."

"Consciously, sir, consciously," Yossarian corrected in an effort to help. "I hate them consciously." from CATCH-22 by Joseph Heller

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal