[lbo-talk] Rationality of the Masses

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 09:29:38 PDT 2005

One way of saying this is to go back to Karl Marx's rejection of the hard-core atheism of the "Young Hegelians." The latter thought that getting rid of religion would lead to a clear improvement for society (beyond that of getting rid of offensive ideas). Marx, on the other hand, saw the material basis of religion in the craziness (alienation) of society. It's the opiate of the masses, but given capitalism and all that, even rational people need opiates. Instead of opposing religion _per se_, therefore, he pushed to improve society, abolish alienation.

It seems to me that there's more of a material basis to religion than just capitalism and other alienated social relations. As long as people die, people are going to need the consolation that religions offer. There are also other elements of the "human condition" that are hard to deal with with a purely scientific approach, so religions step in.

On 6/8/05, Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com> wrote:
> i think there's a lot of sense in carrol's post, here, and i wish
> people would consider cross-applying it in principle to the issue of
> religion. it shouldn't surprise us a bit that people on the whole (not
> individually, necessarily) have an aversion to letting go of religion,
> teenage rebellions aside.
>
> or am i completely misunderstanding what's going on, here?

-- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante